Boards and Packages are getting extremely complex and large; what used to be considered large with millions of objects are now getting into the 100’s of millions of objects. Traditional rendering on CPU of such large and complex designs is not scalable for today’s demand. In fact, two years ago, we observed a performance degradation in the rendering functionality for certain big designs. With the increasing complexity of designs, the render time increases, and geometry calculations require about 80% of rendering time.
With 100s of millions of objects to be rendered and manipulated, it is important to consider the following:
- Efficient rendering of different database element types
- Scene graph and memory cache
- Incremental database updates
- Technology that scales with the hardware in-use
- NVIDIA Path Rendering OpenGL extensions
To view slides, click here.