This OrCAD Capture tutorial introduces you to OrCAD Capture 17.4 and demonstrates how to create a new schematic project. After you complete this tutorial, you will be able to:
- Open Capture 17.4 and create a new project
- Edit design, template, and titleblock preferences
- Add a new library file to your project
If you would like to follow along with this tutorial, you can visit our walk-through page to view video tutorials and download design files.
- Open OrCAD Capture.
Note: You can locate your OrCAD software by going to the Start Menu > Cadence PCB 17.4-2019 > Capture CIS 17.4.
- Select File > New > Project from the menu or click on New Project in the Start page.
- Add a Name (Capture Tutorial) for your project.
- Click the Ellipsis button to browse for the location to save. Click OK.
- Select Options > Preferences from the menu.
Note: In the preference dialog window, you can modify settings for colors, grid, pan and zoom, text, and other miscellaneous settings.
New in 17.4 is the ability to configure a light or dark color scheme for the application and canvas. Changes to the application theme will be applied after restarting Capture.
- Close the Preferences Window.
- Select Options > Design Template from the menu.
Note: The Design Template window, you can select page size, grid reference, and enter title block information.
- Select the Title Block tab.
- Add the required information and set TitleBlock as the Title Block Name.
Note: Adding this information here will automatically populate the title blocks on any new pages.
- Click OK to close the Design Template Window.
- Select File > New > Library from the menu.
- Right click on the library and select Save As.
- Browse to the standard path for symbol libraries (C:\Cadence\SPB_17.4\tools\capture\library) and save the library as CaptureTutorial.OLB.